What is Books That Matter?
Books That Matter is the number one subscription box to empower and inspire. We choose important, thought- provoking literature to stimulate our readers, along with feminist and bookish gifts to go alongside them made by independent creatives. The books we choose are predominantly of female or nb authorship, and we love supporting feminist charities, organisations and causes.
I’m a brand/blogger/publisher looking to get involved with Books That Matter. How can I talk to you?
Please email us – we’d love to hear from you!
Why should I trust your opinions of a book that matters?
Our team have extensively researched and hand-picked the most influential titles in historical and contemporary publishing. We have selected publishers which share our passions and ethos to provide quality books which meet our promise of empowering and inspiring our customers. We have also reached out to book clubs, independent book shops, book bloggers, libraries, universities, and many more places and institutions to research what titles people consider to be ‘books that matter’ and have compiled a long list of texts to include in the boxes as a direct result of this research.
Where can I follow you and get involved in the conversation?
You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter; but you can also join our Facebook page for Books That Matter subscribers called “Books That Matter Readers Group”. We also have a podcast that you can find over on Soundcloud under “Books That Matter”!
How It Works
What will I get in each box?
Every month’s delivery will provide you with:
– A unique keepsake box designed by an independent female surface pattern designer
– At least one book (we are aiming to include one work of well-known fiction alongside a small publication by an independent publisher)
– A gift created and made by an independent female creative in support of her business (gifts will include pens, tote bags, keyrings, badges, patches, art prints, and much more)
What is the cut off point for each month?
As we run a month in advance, the cut off point for the next month’s box is typically on the last day of the month. For example, if you wanted a February box, you’d need to subscribe by the 31st of January. If you’ve missed this date, unfortunately, you will no longer be able to sign up for that box.
Do I need to sign for the delivery? Will it fit through my post box?
Our boxes are slightly too big for the typical post box, so you will need to accept the delivery. However, you won’t need to sign for it. Our boxes are posted with Hermes here in the UK, and you will be sent tracking code for your parcel upon dispatch, and get updates on your phone, too. Our International parcels are posted via Royal Mail.
Do you ship internationally?
Yes, we do! At the moment, we have a standard international postage cost to cover all tracked international postage. When ordering, please ensure you select the International Postage option!
Returns & Refunds
Do you offer returns?
We don’t , sorry, but we hope you love your box!
(If you’d like to learn more, please see our refund policy below for some handy pointers about ordering from us).
What is your refund policy?
Here are some handy things to remember when ordering a Books That Matter subscription:
– We do not offer refunds; if you receive an item which is damaged or your box is missing an item by chance, please email us, and we will organise for a replacement for you. If you receive something that isn’t to your taste, we hope you can gift it to someone who will enjoy it – every month is different, so there is something for everyone!
– If you have pre-paid for a 3, 6 or 12 month subscription, we cannot cancel months that have been paid for in advance and refund these.
– Keep a close eye on our social media, read our newsletters, and join our Books That Matter Reading Group on Facebook for theme announcements per month. This will give you a small indication of what to expect so you can get excited about your next box, and hopefully you’ll receive something you love!
– We cannot accept returns, regardless of whether the box has been opened/ used/ re-wrapped.
How can I change my address?
Please email us with your full name and the address you’d like to change your subscription to. Make sure you do this in a timely manner before the end of the month to ensure your next box will be sent to your new address. If you fail to do so, we will send it to the address we have on our database for you.
How can I extend my subscription?
If you’re coming to the end of your subscription, simply go to our Subscribe page on our website, and re-purchase!
How can I order Books That Matter as a gift?
If you’d like to be a lovely person and order a Books That Matter subscription as a gift, simply make your selection of a 3, 6 or 12 month subscription package and order in their name and address. The notification of purchase will go to your email address, and it will still be a surprise for them. We can also send you a PDF gift certificate if you email us to request it!
How do I get the PDF gift voucher to give the recipient?
You can download our Gift Certificate here.